Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"The Weirdos" by Ottessa Moshfegh in The Paris Review

I can't help but think of Raymond Carver when I read Ottessa Moshfegh. What a talent ...

And he was short. I had never dated a short man before. The thought crossed my mind: Perhaps I am learning humility. Perhaps this man is the answer to my prayers. Perhaps he’s saving my soul. I should be kind. I should be grateful. But I was not kind and I was not grateful. I watched with disgust as he unpacked a box of books he’d found in the trash, squatting down rhythmically to place each one on the shelf. These were his constant calisthenics. His legs were iron, by the way. His hamstrings were so tight he could barely bend at the waist. When he tried, he made a face like someone being penetrated from behind.

Read story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment